High Testosterone Level in Women is not a good thing but rather an absolute problem!
Most of us are aware of the fact that high testosterone level is very ideal for men. Testosterone is a
male sex hormone that falls under the category of androgens. Testosterone level is very significant
among men because it affects a large part of their manhood. In other words, having high testosterone
level is a great advantage for men.
Ironically, this is not the case for women. High level of testosterone in women is not a good thing but an
absolute problem. Although it is true that women also need adequate amount of testosterone in the
body, it is not necessary to be high. Having high testosterone level will result to a number of struggles
that women will have to face. As a matter of fact, a lot of women suffer from the consequences of
having higher T level than what is necessary.
What are the causes of high testosterone level in women?
Let us unravel a few causes of high testosterone level in women. Take note of the list below because you
might be able to save your sister, friend, any female acquaintance, or yourself (if you are a female) by
knowing the cases of high testosterone level in women.
- Women having PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
This is a rare condition among women but it can relatively cause high testosterone level.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a menstrual issue that females suffer by having menstrual
problems or hormonal imbalance.
- Women with Thyroid Disorder
The amount of thyroid hormones and the amount of sex hormones are closely related to
each other in different aspects. Hypothyroidism is caused by insufficient production of
thyroxine or thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.
- Women who Suffer from Stress
Aside from various undesirable results of stress, it can also elevate the amount of
testosterone level in female body. Stress is found to be one of the causes of hypothyroidism.
Basically, stress can result to a depleted progesterone and estrogen level which affect the
production of testosterone.
- Women who do not consume food after workout
According to studies, the levels of various hormones tend to surge up right after intensive
workout. Some of these increased hormones are the cortisol which is known as the “stress
hormones” and the testosterone known as the “male sex hormones”. Hence, it is important
to eat after intensive workout especially for women. The level of testosterone after exercise
is very high and food consumption will help decrease the T level.
- Women with diabetes and/or insulin resistance
Having high level of testosterone is a big chance if women have diabetes or insulin
resistance. Naturally, women’s ovaries produce around 25% of testosterone. Ovaries are
affected by the insulin in the bloodstream which regulates a great amount of testosterone
Effects of High Testosterone Level in Women
High testosterone level in women is not really a good thing unlike in the case of men. In fact, there are
numerous undesirable effects of high testosterone level and we will mention a few of these. Please refer
to the list below to see a few cases of women with high testosterone level.
- Women with low libido or declined sexual desire
We are aware that most men with low testosterone level suffer with low libido which is why
they take supplements to surge up their testosterone level to increase their sexual desires.
It sounds ironic that high testosterone level in women will result to low libido. According to
studies, low libido may take place if there is hormonal imbalance with the other primary sex
hormones regardless of high testosterone level in women.
- Women with irregular menstrual cycles
Obviously, female menstruation has something to do with hormones and irregular
menstrual cycles affect the testosterone production in the body.
- Women with acne breakout
Acne breakout is the common effect of increased testosterone level. In fact, this happens to
both men and women.
How to treat high testosterone level in women?
You have probably heard about natural testosterone boosters that men with low testosterone level use.
Did you know that women engage with the exact opposite of these testosterone alternatives? Men aim
to increase their testosterone level while women want the other way around. It is not ideal for women
to have high testosterone level although it is true that they need enough of these hormones for a better
Here’s a fact that you might not have heard before – men’s testosterone level naturally decreases as
they age while women’s T level increases as they grow older. As a matter of fact, Dr. Abraham Kryger
revealed that a 40 years old woman can have as much as one half amount of a 20 years old man’s
testosterone level. It’s quite surprising, right? Well, we have already tackled about the effects of higher
testosterone level in women so let’s move on to its treatment. Just like natural testosterone boosters
that men use, women also have natural ways to decrease their testosterone level. Here are two of the
natural ways to reduce the amount of testosterone in women.
- Herbal tea
Drinking herbal teas like spearmint, black cohosh, and chaste tree can help reduce
testosterone level in women. Spearmint should be taken for five days with two cups a day;
black cohosh best works if consumed twice a day with a dosage of 20-40 mg; and chaste
tree is beneficial with the same dosage of black cohosh which is also 20-40 mg but it should
be consumed once a day only.
- Nutritional Supplements
Nutritional supplements can help decrease high level of testosterone. One example of
nutritional supplements is Diindolylmethane (DIM) which is known for its beneficial effect in
decreasing male sex hormones including testosterone and androgens. DIM works best with
a dose of 120 mg on a daily basis. Calcium-D- Glucarate is another natural supplement that
also addresses high testosterone level in women. Calcium-D- Glucarate is recommended to
be consumed with a dose of 200mg two times per day.
Adequate amount of testosterone is beneficial but high level of it in women is quiet alarming!
According to studies, women have one-tenth testosterone compared to that of men because some of
women’s features also depend on the functions of testosterone. Osteoporosis can be prevented with
the help of testosterone. It is an undeniable fact that testosterone is also beneficial in the female body
but it doesn’t mean that they need to have high testosterone. Normally, testosterone is higher in men
while lower in women and problems may arise once the situation alters which means lower
testosterone in men yet higher testosterone in women.
A comparison of Female Testosterone Level and Male Testosterone Level
- Female Testosterone Level
Testosterone is important in the female body but it doesn’t mean that they need excessive amount of it.
Ovaries are responsible in producing both testosterone and estrogen in the female body. You might
have already known that testosterone is a male sex hormone while estrogen is a primary female sex
hormone. Estrogen develops and regulates the reproductive functions of the female body as well as
their sexual functions. Estrogen may also refer to the other relative hormones that belong to the group
like estrone, estriol, and estradiol. Estrone is the most dominant hormone in postmenopausal stage.
Meanwhile, estriol is produced in the women’s placenta during maternity. Estradiol, on the other hand,
develops the female sexual functions as well as their characteristics. Estradiol also plays a significant role
in bone structure of the female body.
Just like male sex hormones (testosterone), the level of female sex hormones (estrogen) also depletes
due to several reasons including intensive exercise or extreme physical training, eating disorder or
anorexia nervosa, and menstrual issues including polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS, and a lot more.
The bottom line of female testosterone is that women need adequate amount of it for a stable
functioning of certain parts of their body but high testosterone level may put their health at risk. Thus,
women with high testosterone level seek to address this issue.
- Male Testosterone Level
High testosterone level in men is a great advantage for them. This is the big difference between the
condition of men and women when it comes to testosterone level. Unlike women who suffer with high
testosterone level, men with the same case enjoy the perks of having their T level at its peak. In fact,
men use testosterone replacement therapy and supplements to address low testosterone level.
- Testosterone replacement therapy may include mouth tablets, testosterone pellets, gels,
injections, and skin patch.
- Mouth tablets are placed inside your gums. The tablet targets the bloodstream where
testosterone is being absorbed.
- Testosterone Pellets are inserted or implanted under the skin, preferably on the upper
part of the buttocks, which continuously releases testosterone for three to four months
or at the maximum of six months.
- Gels work efficiently when applied on the skin. The increase of testosterone is better
when gel is specifically applied on your thighs, shoulders, and upper arms.
- Injections are done by injecting the patient with the right dose of testosterone based on
the findings of the doctor. This procedure must be performed by a doctor or a health
- Skin patch works like gel because it is also done by applying it in the skin at night.
- Testosterone booster supplements come in many brands and one of the best testosterone
booster supplements is Testogen. Users of testogen have shown satisfied and happy feedbacks
about this supplement. Testogen is a natural testosterone booster composed of natural
The best supplements for increasing the testosterone level of men are made up of prominent
natural ingredients such as the following:
- Ginseng – This is an ancient herb that has long been used in some Asian countries like China, Korea, Japan, India, and so on. Ginseng has been used as traditional medicine by our ancestors and the most popular function of ginseng for centuries is its natural aphrodisiac effect.
- Fenugreek – this plant is a very significant plant and its seed is a beneficial component for producing medicines. Fenugreek is also used as an important spice for Indian foods aside from stimulating the production of testosterone in the body.
- D-Aspartic Acid – this is an amino acid that has promising effects in boosting testosterone which is why it is one of the most common ingredients among natural testosterone boosters.
- Zinc – this is a great advantage to increase our testosterone level. Zinc is an essential mineral which means that our body needs to consume it from external sources such as foods like red meats, shrimps, oysters, poultry, crabs, and the list goes on. This is due to the fact that our body is not capable of producing zinc.
- Vitamin B6 – this improves the energy production and storing in our body although it is not capable of storing energy for a long time. Thus, we are required to replenish it from time to time.
- Tribulus Terrestris – this is a fundamental component of natural testosterone boosters that stimulates the level of luteinizing hormones by sending message to the testes which will then produce male sex hormones or testosterone.
- Oyster Extract – this is also one of the in demand ingredients for testosterone boosters because of its high level of zinc.
- Vitamin D3 – this is a vital component of testosterone boosters which is supported by relevant studies to show great effects in the production of testosterone.
- Tongkat Ali – this plant has shown promising effects in increasing sexual desires which is
resulted by increased testosterone level.
Now that we have plotted the facts about the function of high testosterone level in men and women, we
can already conclude that both situation have differences. While high testosterone level is a great thing
for men, it doesn’t work the same for women. Although testosterone is necessary for women, high level
of it will cause them health troubles.